Fresh, Clean Water for all the Family
Bringing my website to the internet has been something of a journey, and it hasn’t always been an easy one. Obviously, you’re reading this review because you’re looking for a water filtration system that will do what it’s supposed to. I’ll also hedge my bets this isn’t the first review you’ve looked at either!
What I have discovered on my quest for the perfect solution to clean, fresh water in the home is there is a LOT of technical information to take in, and it can often be pretty difficult to make a decision because you don’t understand what your chosen water filtration system will do for you (believe me, I’ve been there).
So for the purpose of this review, which incidentally is on the Big Berkey Water Filter-2, I’ve tried to reduce the amount of industry “jargon” so you have a true understanding of how this particular model works.
The Types of Water It Can Clean-Up
Berkey has really done their research here, and whilst this filtration system is perfect in the home for those of you that have a small to medium sized family, they have also created a unit that will allow you to gain access to clean water when you’re in a harsh environment.
It could be that you’re taking a trip and will be exploring the great outdoors (get those tents at the ready). It could also be that you’re in a situation where access to clean water is limited, or in the worst case scenario pretty impossible.
Now, you might be wondering what this system does, and this is where I aim to keep it as simple as possible. However, if you know little about contaminants, you might still want to read a little more on the different types of water contaminants in order to understand the process.
Below are some quick points that will hopefully make it easier to understand.
- The advanced filtration system will completely remove cysts, parasites and pathogen bacteria which are often present in water from stagnant ponds or rivers (if you ingest these, the consequences can be pretty horrendous as I’m sure you know).
- Your filtered water will also be free of VOC’s (volatile organic compounds), TOC’s (total organic carbons), both of which can be a danger to your health. If that wasn’t enough, other chemicals such as herbicides, pesticides, radon 222 and organic solvents will not be present in the filtered water either.
- Wait for it! Here’s a word you may not know, trihalomethanes. Simply put this is a by-product of chlorine which as we all know is routinely added to our drinking water. The Berkey water filtration system will deal with these as well.
- This model will also reduce (not eliminate) the amount of nitrates, and potentially harmful minerals such as mercury and lead.
- Of course, it goes without saying that fluoride, arsenic and residual metal ions will also be removed.
This may all be a lot to take in, and it might be quite shocking to discover all of the things mentioned above can be present in water. But, do remember this model is designed to make untreated water safe to drink and treated water taste far better.
So, now you know you can use this water filtration system for all types of water let’s move on to a couple of the more practical points.
Ease of Use
Bear in mind this unit isn’t designed to be hooked up to the water supply in your home (you wouldn’t be able to take it on trips with you if it was). It comes with a spigot at the bottom so drawing fresh water from it is as simple as turning a tap. It’s also made from stainless steel, so keeping it clean won’t be an issue either.
This is possibly one of the best benefits with this water filtration system. It will hold up to 2.5 gallons of water in its reservoir and will filter up to 3.5 gallons per hour. If you intend to take it on a trip with you, it won’t be hard to transport. You can nestle the top chamber into the bottom and when it’s packed it only stands at 13 inches high. This means it won’t take up that much room in your luggage.
The price of this water filtration system may seem a little more expensive than you would expect, but considering it will effectively remove all sorts of containments in your water, only leaving behind well needed minerals, in my opinion it’s worth the money.
Of course, you don’t have to pay the list price, just pay a visit to Amazon here and I’ll bet you’ll find some great deals!